Save money by creating your own natural detergents
Industrial household products are, for the most part, made up of chemical and toxic elements whose effects on the body and the planet are not all known. Creating your own natural cleaning products will have several benefits: protecting your health, the environment and saving money. Here are our DIYs to make your own ecological household cleaners at a lower cost.
Make your ecological multi-purpose cleaning product
One of the most versatile and easy-to-make household products is the multi-purpose cleaner. Based on white vinegar, water, and essential oils, you can apply it in the kitchen as well as on furniture, sinks, or floors.
To make your own product, you will need to mix in a spray bottle:
- 400ml water
- 100ml white vinegar
- 20 drops of fragrant essential oil (we recommend lemon or lavender)
Once your preparation is done, spray it on the surfaces to be cleaned before passing a sponge or cloth.
DIY: your inexpensive homemade laundry detergent
Industrial detergent is often expensive, in addition to being filled with chemicals and toxic products. In direct contact with the skin and very close to the respiratory tract, clothes washed with these detergents can be the cause of allergies or even more serious illnesses.
Making your own homemade detergent will therefore be beneficial for your wallet, but also for your health. For 1.5 liters of Marseille soap detergent:
- In a saucepan, melt 70 grams of Marseille soap flakes in 1.5 liters of water, stirring regularly. Do not boil.
- Leave to cool then add a tablespoon of baking soda and a tablespoon of soda crystals (if the laundry is very dirty). Stir regularly while allowing to cool.
- Once the preparation has cooled, add the essential oils of your choice. Prefer oils that are not likely to stain the linen such as: eucalyptus, lavender, lemon, grapefruit or petit grain bigarade.
Pour your detergent into a bottle, not filling it completely, as it will need to be shaken before each use. Put around 100ml of detergent directly into the drum for each wash and you’re done.
An effective and ecological dishwashing liquid
The household cleaner is used daily, dishwashing liquid is essential. Also made up of many chemicals, it very often irritates or dries out the hands.
To make the recipe for ecological and effective dishwashing products that we offer:
- Patiently dilute a teaspoon of baking soda and soda crystals in 20 cl of water.
- Meanwhile, melt 20 grams of Marseille soap in 20 cl of water over low heat.
- Mix the two preparations and leave to stand for several hours, until it thickens.
- Add 10 cl of water, then leave to stand again.
- Finally, mix the preparation to make it as fluid as possible before adding 10 drops of Tea Tree essential oil and pouring it into a bottle.
Shake before each use, pour a small amount on your dishes, and rub with a sponge.
Create your own demineralized water to protect your steam devices
Very useful to avoid scale and limescale on your household steam appliances, demineralized water is easy to make yourself.
Boil water in a large saucepan with a bowl in the bottom. Cover this pan with a lid placed upside down, add ice to this lid. The condensation created will cause water stripped of its minerals to flow inside your bowl.
Alfred Harry has completed his education in marketing and started his career as a digital marketer. He is a content writer by profession. And he would love to add multiple things to his knowledge that he can add to his writing style. He writes about cleaning services in Sydney like upholstery cleaning in Double Bay.